Fun with GWT

Upgrading to v2.0 of GWT under Eclipse, here’s some of the things I encountered:

(1) For some reason my old 1.7.1 GWT projects are hopelessly broken; I can’t seem to debug them. Creating a new v2.0 GWT project seems to work fine. And I haven’t a clue as to why my v1.7.1 GWT projects, when I upgrade them to v2.0, refuse to debug: I’ve tried just switching the current GWT SDK, I’ve tried turning off and on GWT, I’ve tried blowing away the debug configurations–I’ve even tried recreating a new GWT project with the same source kit (which did work under v2.0’s debugger environment), then searching for differences.

Nothing.

The only workaround I’ve found is to create a new GWT project, and copy the sources across from the old GWT project.

(2) IE7 support for the new panel layouts is completely broken unless you change the DOCTYPE declaration from:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">

to

<!DOCTYPE HTML>

Beats me why; I’m not into the finer points of HTML compatibility and doctype specifications. But once you make this switch, the new layout panels work as advertised.

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s